Ramblings from a ragged ol' poke. . .

Our lives are separate and yet connected. I like to focus on the threads that connect us.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Mettle

Bush Acknowledges Iraq 'Miscalculation'

In an AP story reporting on an interview with President Bush,
President Bush said for the first time on Thursday he made a "miscalculation of what the conditions would be" after U.S. troops went to Iraq, The New York Times reported. The insurgency, he maintained, was the unintended result of a "swift victory" that led to Iraqi troops disappearing into the cities and mounting a rebellion.


That's the reward for winning the war too quickly? Great prize. The logic is sound, and admitting the mistake is honorable. In retrospect, the end (we're not there yet) would likely be the same although the means may have been different.

Bush also said,
The president has to make hard decisions. My job is to confront problems not pass them on. And the American people have seen me make the hardest of decisions. That's just going to have to be a part of their decision-making process.


Iraq was a festering zit that would eventually explode. Doing nothing is an easy choice, but it is not likely the best choice. In conclusion, Bush illuminated his unwavering determination when he discussed why he remains in politics.

There's a lot of my friends who come and bass-fish with me. They don't say it out loud, I know they're thinking it: Why?" Bush said. "And the answer is because the stakes are high. Because there is more work to be done to make the world a freer and more peaceful place. . . .I know what needs to be done, I see clearly where we need to go and I want to spend four years leading toward that goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home